Raw Unedited 1-2 Chapters of Bitter Hearts

Hi Everyone!!!
I wanted to share the first chapter of Bitter Hearts....

Bitter Hearts

Ava Thorn

Copyright 2014 ©Ava Thorn

Prologue 

The beeping of the cellphone caused Hank to wake up from his slumber. He could hear the shower running in the en-suite, and his wife Natalie singing off key.  He closed his eyes and tried to get a little more shut eye before he got up and checked on the stables before the impending storm rolls in. The beep sounded again, groaning he reached for the device that was disturbing his sleep. With eyes half closed, he looked at the phone.
Hank saw something that didn’t want to see. Sitting up in bed he scan the text messages from his wife to another person, not just any person. It was man that Hank knew well enough to refer to as a friend.

Natalie: Thank you for a wonderful evening, can’t wait to see you tomorrow
Replier: I brought your plane ticket. 
Natalie: Great I can’t wait to run into your arms. 
Replier: Did you tell him yet? I know you still married to Hank, but you need to tell him it’s over. 
Replier: Are you gonna ignore me?

Hank’s head started to spin as he continue to read the very sexually explicated emails and text messages. Natalie even sent naked pictures to him. He couldn’t fathom laying in the bed, where they just made love. Walking out the bedroom, he made his way to the living room where sat down and stared at the wedding portraits on the mantel.
I tried for the longest to make this a home, he said to himself. Hank was starting to realize that no matter what he did, Natalie wouldn’t be happy or satisfied with him. They say “A picture is worth a thousand words,” when he looked at the wedding photos displayed around the house, Hank saw love, happiness and most part he saw happily ever after.  If someone reincarnated their picture perfect day at this moment in time, the telltale signs of hurt, anger and disappointment would reflect in the picture.
Divorce wasn’t even in his vocabulary, he detested even letting the word form on his lips. For the past couple of months he watched the sweet, loving woman he fell in love with become this distant monster. She was sabotaging everyone around them, was it her plan to make everyone dislike her. Hank continue to sit by the fireplace, he could hear shuffling in the back room not bothering to get up, and he just sat there waiting.
He could hear Natalie walking around, doors opening and closing. Her muffle voice talking on a cellphone. Hank had to ask himself if she was talking him, the man she having an affair with.
Sitting in the rocking chair he racked his brains on how to save his marriage. Should he beg and plead with her to salvage their marriage? Hank had to ask himself the hardest question that he would ever have to face. Was Natalie worth fighting for?
Looking up from his spot in the dark corner unnoticed. He watched his wife, the woman who was the apple of his eyes. Walked into the living room with her luggage. Natalie Jackson had fiery red hair just like her attitude, soft creamy white skin that could put a baby bottom to shame. When he first laid eyes on the green eye beauty, Hank was smitten with her on day one.
“Where are you going?” he asked. His deep voice starling her.
Natalie twirled around quickly with her hand to her chest. “Dammit, Hank you scared me,”
Hank eyes were glued to the Gucci luggage beside Natalie. “Where are you going?” he repeated.
“I-I Hank, going to go see my mother and father in Tyler, Texas.” Natalie’s voice trailed off as she fingered the strap of her purse.
“I have a few days coming up,” he paused looking at her. “I’ll go with you and we can make a weekend of it.”
“I can’t- Mama is sick and daddy losing his mind. I told them I be on the first flight back home,” she purred.
Natalie was standing in front of him lying about her mother being sick, just to go lay up with some Tom Dick or Harry. Hank was having a hard time controlling his anger. Counting to ten wasn’t going to control his outburst.
“For God’s sake, you going to stand up here and freaking lie!” He jerked his head towards the front door. “I know you leaving me to go see him.”
Yeah they had problems but there had to be a way to make their marriage work. When things got rough, people didn’t abandon their spouse, they stayed to work it out. Hank saw no remorse or commitment in her eyes.
 Yeah they had problems but he was optimistic that there was a way to savage their relationship.
Natalie looked over at the man she been married to for three years who was trying to keep his emotion in check. His grey eyes appeared to be heavy and emotional, his brown shaggy hair appeared tussle. Hank was still handsome as ever with his sun-kissed skin from working long hours out in the sun on the ranch. His body was toned and muscular from lifting bales of hay every day. What most people didn’t know about Hank Jackson could sing, he had potential but would never do anything with it.  That was another reason she was leaving him, he was satisfied with being the help and she had big plans for herself.
Licking her lips, Natalie took a deep breath before saying “I’m leaving you…We’re not happy anymore. People change I changed.” She flipped her hair back and avoided eye contact I’m not that woman who you married. When we got together you was this hot-shot country singer and now you’re the cowboy that shovel horse shit”
The words that came out of her mouth was harsh, it hurt to know how she could think so little of him as a man. “I left the music scene because it was what you wanted. Nat, you thought I was out there sleeping with groupies left and right. Yeah I left stage life for you…for us with hopes of us starting our own family.” Hank thought she welcome the change of scenery for him. He was home every night, and showered her with love and attention.
“I’m tired, there is something missing with us” Natalie sighed. “I want a divorce,”
The room was so quiet that you could hear a pin needle drop.
“Dwight?” Hank asked. His deep voice was hard and cold, he glance over to Natalie’s finger, her wedding ring was gone, just like sex in their marriage. He should have seen they were headed in this direction, the distance between was so too big. “How long you been seeing him?” His cousin been telling him for the longest that he needed to open his eyes and see Natalie for exactly who she was.
“Fine! I’m moving out.”
There was no hesitation, it seemed like his wife has her mind made up. He searched her eyes for love and saw none for him.  “What are you saying?” he asked.
“I’m unhappy and miserable. I have contacted a lawyer and already filed for divorce.” Natalie shifted slightly from one foot to the other.
Hank stared at the designer luggage that sat in the middle of the living room. Standing up from the chair he walked over to her. “I love you, it doesn’t make any sense. Whatever problems there are between us, I’m sure we can work it out.” He touched her arm, but she pulled away.
Natalie laughed at him and shook her head. “I’m in love with him,”
He stood there frozen in time, his wife just through his life and their marriage for a loop. She wasn’t in love with him anymore but with another man.  His eyes drifted to the overstuffed luggage.
There were so many things that he could have said, but instead Hank gripped the handle of the luggage.
“What are you doing,” she shrieked.
Hank walked towards the front door pulling the luggage with him. He knew the favorite saying most people say when life can feel horrible at times, ‘everything happens for a reason.’ Hank’s mother Kate swore by the belief and that’s what he believed throughout his life. In the game of life to fight your way out of a tiring situation you had to keep peace and hope. He wasn’t going to keep loving someone who didn’t return love. It was time to set Natalie free and himself.
“You letting me leave?” she asked following him.
“What do you want me to do?” He put her luggage into the trunk of the car. “No I’m not going to beg you stay,”
“I…thought you would at least-”
“What? Get on my hands and knees!” he slammed the trunk down and looked at Natalie and shook his head. “I’m not what you need remember? Why stick around with a washed country singer, who plays farmer Joe.”
Hank tossed all those words she told him during arguments.
Natalie appeared shocked over the change of events, she didn’t think that Hank would accepted the divorce with ease. “How could you let me go?”
He looked at the woman that he would have cross any mountain or river to be with. “I was prepared plead with you not to leave. There is nothing I wouldn’t have done for you, but you taught me that I can’t make you happy. Natalie we both deserve to happy and one day you will realize that you are responsible for you own happiness. It’s not about the mansion, cars or the money in the bank account. Whoever he is that your leaving me for, will teach you that soon enough.”
“You don’t know nothing about him,” She snapped pointing her long manicure nail at him.
“I guess it’s true what they say,” he said taking a seat on the brick steps. Hank could hear the rumbling of thunder in the distance.
“What’s that?” she snapped with her hand on her hips.
“Good guys finish last. I not a cheater, alcoholic, slacker, abuser. I’m a good man who made sure that my home was taking care of, and that my wife had everything she needed and more. A loyal husband.”
“Dwight gives me everything that you don’t,” Natalie flipped her red hair back, her attitude was nonchalant.  “I made a mistake thinking that Nashville could be good for us.”
It was good for you, he wanted to say. They moved to Nashville to take over the ranching responsibilities at Southern Hearts Ranch. Shit Tennessee was the place where she broke his heart and fell in love with another man. “Bye Natalie,” He could see lightning skittering about in the distance.
“I never wanted to hurt you,” She said. Pushing her purse onto her shoulder, Natalie look at him more time before getting inside her car and drive away with his heart.
Hank felt the first few droplets on his head as he stare at the Natalie’s car until the red taillights vanish into the night. He continue to sit there until water began to plummet down from the heavens. Closing his eyes, he tried to wrap his head around how someone who claimed to love him hurt him and rip his heart out.
He sat there until he was soaking wet, he didn’t know how long he sat there on the hard brick steps. Maybe it was until his cousin Austin McBride and his wife Farrah pulled up in a red Ford truck.  It sicken him how he watched the newly happy married couple walk over to him. His cousin Austin was his best friend, when his mother and father passed away. Austin’s mom and dad took him in, raising Hank like he was their son. Austin became the doting husband and father to be, with Farrah, the love he had for the woman shine brightly in those bright blue eyes of Austin.
“Are you okay,” Farrah held an umbrella over her head. “Why don’t you come back to the main house, with us?”
Hank saw why his cousin fell in love with Farrah Rue, not only did she prepared the best meal, but she was beautiful inside and out, which was hard to come by these days. Her curly black hair flowed to her shoulder, her brown skin contain that pregnancy glow. Kneeling down she touched his arm, when he looked into her eyes he didn’t see pity, he saw reassurance and that everything would get better in due time.
“I’m okay, I just need to catch my breath,” Hank mumbled.
“Farrah, why don’t you go inside? I don’t need you catching a cold.” Austin said.
“Okay,” she said in a soft voice. Leaning forwards she planted a kiss on Hank’s forehead.  She moved passed him and walked into the house leaving the guys to talk.
“What happen?” Austin asked taking a seat next to Hank. It didn’t bother him that it was raining so hard.
“She left me for another man. I don’t know what I was doing wrong.” Hank ran his fingers threw his dirty blonde hair. “I love her and if she came back right now...I’ll take her back in a heartbeat.”
“No you wouldn’t. Remember when you told me that Rebecca wasn’t the one for me? It took me a minute to realize that but I got there after a lot of reflection.”
Hank couldn’t listen to Austin at this moment especially with his world crumbling down at his feet. He was this big mess as rage, shock, sadness rocked his body. For the first time in years he felt lonelier than he could have ever felt.
“Don’t give me none of that BS about once a cheater always a cheater, because look at you.” He mumbled looking over at his cousin, who wore a shocked expression. Austin didn’t have any room to talk about Natalie, simply because he cheated on his fiancée Rebecca with the chef who was supposed to cater the wedding of the century.
“Yeah, what I did was fucked up,” his said slowly. “I caused Rebecca some pain, and I hate that I did that.” Austin took off his cowboy and placed it next to him. He looked up at the dark sky, as rain pour down on them. “I’m not going to repeat those mistakes, my relationship with Farrah is very different from the one I shared with Rebecca. My wife is the person I’m going to be with forever, she fulfills me. ”
“Do you know who the hell she left me for? Dwight Brooks!”
“Shit,” Austin said and shook his head. Dwight Brooks was a backup guitar player for Liam Owens. He was what most guys called a womanizer, Dwight used his status in Liam’s band to bed women.
“I wasted years on this woman that I can’t get back. I tossed my dreams aside for her,” Hank stood up and started to pace the gravel rocks. “What do I do?” he said beating his chest.
“Forgive,”
Hank looked up to see Farrah standing on the porch.
She could sense the hurt, betrayal and rage that was coursing through his body. “I made dinner for us, please come inside and out the rain. The last thing I need is for my husband and his cousin to catch a cold.”
“Yes ma’am,” Austin said. “We better listen to Mrs. McBride,” he draped his arm around Hank shoulder and walked into the house.
Hank glanced up at stone tutor home that held many dreams and hopes for him and Natalie. She complained about a house that most people would thought of as a mini mansion that sat on a sprawling estate. He didn’t feel like going into the house and being greeted with things that reminded him of his wife. Walking through the front door, he was surprised that the smell that filled his nostril was something spicy, instead of the light feminine perfume he prepared to smell.”
“I cooked the ground beef in the refrigerator, I think you would love my chunky beef chili,” Farrah said handing each of them a white plush towel. “Dinner will be ready in thirty minutes,”
“You didn’t have to,” he said softly. “I’m going to go change clothes. Austin you know where the extra clothing is at.”
This was Farrah first time seeing the big cuddly guy being sad and upset. Standing in the large chef’s kitchen. She looked at her husband standing in front of her wearing only a pair of blue jeans, his blonde hair wet. “Maybe we should spend the night here with Hank,” she walked over to Austin and started to dry his hair off.
“Nope, he wouldn’t want that,” Austin said as he enjoyed his wife’s fingers against his skin.
“Remember what you said the other night, when I got to veto you because you said and I quote “I’m consider two people because I’m pregnant. Well I’m vetoing your decision not to stay the night,” she rubbed her round tummy for measures.
“No honeybun, it doesn’t work like that,” Austin chuckled “I said you can veto food choices, nice try baby,”
“Well since you didn’t clarify yourself, my veto stand but next time I know veto only means for food.” She winked at him, tossing Austin the towel. Farrah walked back to the kitchen singing a happy tune.
“You win this time Farrah McBride,” Austin laughed.
***
Hank could hear them laughing in the other room. He envy what they shared together. He sat there on the bed in the dark room emotionally drained. His mind continued to drift back to the past three years with Natalie and the love they had. There was no value and commitment to each other. Was he destine for people to always leave him?
Maybe he haven’t been the best husband in the world. God, how could he been so blinded? Natalie was distant and he should have known she was having an affair. Picking up the photo of them at a much happier time, he threw it across the room. Glass shattered and the metal frame flew across the room. Hank wanted to cry, he wanted to rush out the house and go after Natalie and punch the hell out of Dwight Brooks.
A knock sounded on the door. “It’s me,” Farrah called out, “Can I come in?”
When he didn’t say anything the door to the bedroom, creep open slowly. He looked up to see Farrah standing in the doorway hold a tray of food.  Hank could smell the steamy contents, his stomach growl just inhaling the smell of buttery cornbread.
“I’m not hungry,” he lied.
Farrah ignored him and turned on the light. Hank groaned adjusting his eyes to the bright lights. He missed the darkness, at least in the darken room Hank didn’t have to worry about seeing everything that reminded him of Natalie.
“Yes you are,” she said softly sitting the tray in front of him on the night stand. “Eat and listen.”
“No disrespect Farrah but I been through an emotional rollercoaster tonight,” Hank mumbled.
“There is nothing wrong with wanting to bawl your eyes out, or rip pictures up,” she nodded to the mess on the floor.
“Are you about to tell me all those girly cliché?” He said rolling his eyes.
Farrah chuckled and nodded her head. “I could, but you are a man and I know you have that macho man persona running through you. ‘Guys don’t cry’ but that’s a lie.”
“I don’t know what I did wrong,” he leaned back in bed and stared up at the ceiling.
“Nothing,” Farrah sat on the bed next to him and laid back. “You can’t blame yourself. Believe me when I say that it’s easy to point fingers at yourself.”
“I should have known,”
“Know what,” she looked over at him. “Shit maybe Natalie did you a favor. I’m sad because she broke your heart but a part of me is happy that Natalie is gone. Wasn’t you the one who told my husband he deserved better with Rebecca?”
Hank cover his eyes with his arm. There was an endless film of their relationship flashed before his eyes, the good and bad with Natalie.
“Some people marry for love, some for companionship and some for convenience. You my dear cousin have to figure out which one Natalie married you for.” Farrah sat up walked to the window, the rain was coming down harder. “Whatever she told you, I want you to know that you are worthy of being loved and bring cared, her feelings may have not been genuine and true. Believe me when I say there is nothing wrong with you.”
“Farrah I don’t need a Oprah moment.” He grumbled
“I’m not,” she sounded offended. “Hank, you don’t need to be blaming yourself, we have to face facts and realize sometimes a relationship don’t work. You gave it your best and it’s time to move on. If I could drink with you I would.”
“But I can,” a voice said from the hallway.
They both looked up to see Austin standing in the doorway with two glasses of brown liquor.
“Let’s go to the table,” Hank said getting up from the bed. He bypass them and stormed into the living room. It felt like he was suffocating sitting in the room, he wished the smell of the chili overpower the faint scent of her perfume but it didn’t or the fact that the dresser drawers were pulled out and Natalie clothes were gone.
Sitting at the table trying to regain his appetite but it was no use, he was down in the dumps. No matter how much Austin and Farrah tried to cheer him up, it was no use. He spend a period of his life marriage to a person that he thought was the most perfect woman on this earth, and now he thought of Natalie as a horrible sun on this planet.
“Two words!” Austin said leaning back in his chair. “Rebound sex,”
Farrah started coughing on her apple juice and looked at Austin and frown. “Don’t listen to your cousin,” she said turning her attention to Hank.
For the first time that night a smile formed on Hank’s handsome face. “I think Austin might have a point, I’ll be a divorce man in a few months, life goes on right, why should my bed be cold” he held up his glass filled with Jack Daniel’s “To moving on,”
“Moving on,” Austin toasted with Hank
“I think we should take some of that anger you have pent up and use it to something meaningful”
“Such as?” Hank asked.
“I want you to consult with Kari, the decorator for the baby nursery. I know your good with your hands and the handmade rocking chair is magnificent.” She nodded to the chair in the corner. “Instead of being depressed you can create a McBride heirloom for our little one.” She said and gently rubbed her tummy.
“I don’t know what to say,” Hank stammer.
“Say you will do it, if not Farrah will hound you each and every day until you say yes,” Austin sipped his drink when he saw the way his pregnant wife was looking at him.
“I’ll do it,” Hank said happily. Farrah didn’t have to ask him twice to create an heirloom that would be pass down from generation to generation.
“Great Kari will be on the ranch in two months, where you two can go over designs for the crib.” Farrah clasp her fingers together. “I can’t wait to see the new designs,”
Hank nodded his head. Damn he was trying his best not to have a complete meltdown, his fingers were itching to reach over and grab his phone and text Natalie. Something inside of him told him no, and let it go and rebound sex was exactly what he needed.

Chapter One
Two Months Later
The beeping of the alarm clock ripped Kari from her dream, just when she was about to kiss Chris Hemsworth.
“Damn the alarm clock,” She moaned. Rolling over she stared out the blinking red numbers on the alarm. Sometime last night the raging thunderstorm knocked out her power. Reaching for her cellphone on the nightstand she screamed when the time revealed it was 8:00 in the morning.
“Shit!” She jumped out of bed.
Kari was due at Southern Hearts Ranch in forty five minutes. Racing around her condo like a chicken with the head cut off, Kari was pulling out clothes left and right. She needed to look and appear perfect for her new VIP client.
“God please don’t let me be late,” Kari prayed as brushed her teeth quickly and curl her hair at the same time.
Kari Hayes was still trying to establish herself after moving to Nashville from Los Angles. Instead of taking her designing talent to New York or keeping it in Hollywood where she could work a big design firm, Kari that it was in her best interest to move to Nashville and hopefully start her own business.  Three months ago Kari finally stuck gold when Melanie the wife of a country music star Liam, hired her to decorate the nursery for her child.
Now today she was decorating a nursery for Farrah McBride the wife of a country superstar Austin McBride. Slipping on her black Prada 5 inch heels bootie that went perfectly with her lace cream sleeveless sheer tank, sleek black skirt, and red and black baseball jacket. Snatching up her keys, Kari practically made a mad dash to her car and speed down the highway with hopes that she would be on time to Southern Hearts Ranch.
Turning up the music Kari bob her head up and down to the beat of the music. Today was looking for her as she checked her watch on her wrist, the traffic on the interstate was light. She might be five minutes early instead of being late. Cruising down the country road, Kari groaned when a red new model Ford truck towing what appeared to be hauling hay was traveling at least 15 below the speed limit.
Beep Beep beeep
Kari blew her horn at the man in the truck, the asshole was going to have her late. Blowing the car horn a few more time, but it only made the driver go a little slower. Honking her horn once more, Kari was beyond pissed, swerving over she saw the lane was cleared for passing. As Kari came up on the on the slow moving vehicle, she flicked her middle finger at him. Looking into her review mirror she saw the truck flicking his headlights at her.
“I don’t care,” she mumbled and continue her journey down the road.
Five minutes later she was pulling up to the iron gates with gold letter ‘SH’ inscribe in the middle of it. Before she could press the intercom. Kari followed the white gravel tree lined road to the three story brick antebellum house. Her mouth nearly dropped as she surveyed the vast estate. The rumor mill was buzzing about how the Austin McBride fell in love with Farrah Rue within a few weeks before his wedding to another woman.  Kari parked her new model range rover near a simple blue mini cooper and exit her vehicle.
“Ms. Hayes,” a soft feminine voice yelled out.
Kari shield the morning sun from her eyes as she looked at a very pregnant woman walking towards her wearing a white t-shirt dress and brown cowboy boots.  Looking down at her thousand dollar Prada boots, there was no way she was trekking through the mud in her perfectly clean shoes. “Hello,” Kari waved from the pavement, she wasn’t taking a chance on getting her shoes muddy.  “I’m here to meet Farrah McBride,” she said extending her hand to the woman.
“I’m her,” she chuckled and shake Kari’s hand.
Kari tried her best to hide the shock on her face, apparently she didn’t do a good job and Farrah saw it. “I’m sorry, I was expecting-” her voice falter when the Farrah McBride started to laugh.
“Blue eyes and blonde hair?” she singsong.
“Pretty much,” Kari shifted uncomfortably to the other foot. When Melanie told her that her friend Farrah McBride wanted Kari to design a nursery, she assumed the woman would be white since her husband was a country music star. But boy was she wrong, Austin McBride’s wife was African American with skin the color of nutmeg and black kinky curly hair.
“It’s okay,” Farrah said “I get that all the time,”
“I’m sorry…I have this terrible habit of saying what’s on my mind,” Kari admitted.
Farrah put her hand on Kari shoulder, “Girl, I wish everyone was a little more like that instead of heming and hawing around.”
Kari could tell the Farrah McBride was down to earth woman, who didn’t seem like the average celebrity wife that was all about the glitz and glamour. “Melanie told me you was impressed with the nursery I design for her.”
“Yes!” she said excitedly. “Let’s go get a glass of Ice Tea and I’ll show you the nursery,”
“You have a lovely home,” Kari said as she walked through the front door behind Farrah, the house boasts heavy columns, decadent chandeliers and tone of rare oriental rugs cover the stunning hardwood floors.
“Thank you, my husband had someone to design it with me in mind.”
“Rustic meet European,” Kari said as she stood in a kitchen that was bigger than her whole apartment.
“Exactly,” Farrah said.
Kari watched as the pregnant woman pulled out a glass picture from the refrigerator that was filled with tea, ice and slice lemons. Pouring herself and Kari a glass of the prefer beverage of the south, they took a seat at breakfast table in the kitchen, the floor to ceiling windows gave an amazing view of rolling hills in the distance. “Tell me some of your idea for the baby nursery,”
“I guess I’m in time,” a baritone voice with a southern accent said.
Kari and Farrah both looked behind them. A very handsome man with sun-kissed skin, grey eyes that would make a woman heart beat faster, and ruffle dirty blonde hair. Damn was all Kari could say to herself as she watched him strolled into the room wearing blue jeans and red plaid button up sleeves shirt. Was it possible for a man to walk sexy? Kari asked herself.  When he walked over to Farrah and kissed her senseless, Kari knew the man was Austin McBride.
Kari looked away from the couple and gazed out the window. She watched a horse gallop around in the pasture in the distance.
“Stop we have company,” Farrah laughed. “Sorry Kari this is my husband Austin McBride and Austin this is the interior decorator I was telling you about Kari Hayes.”
“Nice to meet you,” Kari said shaking Austin hand.
“My wife has been praising your work for the past two weeks,” Austin said with a friendly smile.
Kari could see the love between the two, it was so cute but at the same time nauseating. She wasn’t one of those woman who was going to say “Oooh I want what she had.” Kari knew first hand that love was for suckers. “I was just asking Mrs. McBride what type of style she envisioned for the baby nursery.”
“First please call me Farrah, we don’t have to be formal,” Farrah said as she handed Austin a glass of ice tea. “Secondly...”
Austin looked over at Farrah and squeezed her hand. “We’re having twins, so you will be designing a nursery for two babies.”
“Congratulations!” Kari said happily.
“Thank,” they both said together.
 “When are you due?” Kari asked. She didn’t know anything about a pregnant woman except for the fact they carry another human being for nine months.
“I’m five months, I will be delivering in 4 months on Feb 14th.” Farrah said as she rubbed her growing tummy.
“What are you having?” Kari asked before taking a sip of her ice tea. Most people in the south add too much sugar but this lemon ice tea was just right.
“Boys,” they said
“Congratulations,” Kari
“But you’re the only one who knows, we will surprise our family and friends at my baby shower in a few weeks,” Austin said looking at her sternly.
The way Austin looked at her told her that he value his privacy. “Your secret is safe with me,” Kari said. Opening her leather binder she pulled out a confidentially agreement. “This is a privacy clause, informing you that I will not breach your trust nor will I discuss anything that we talk about.”
 “I like you Kari, you came prepared.” Austin replied as he took a pen out his shirt pocket and quickly sign his name and handed it to Farrah.
“My husband is slightly apprehensive because we had to dismiss three housekeepers due to their relationship with tabloids.” Farrah’s face became gloomy as she sign the paper and pass it back to Kari.
“Don’t worry, I’m perfectly loyal to my clients,” Kari assured the couple at the table.
“With that said.” Austin said standing up. “Let’s show you the nursery.”
Seconds later she stood in an empty grand room that even have French doors that lead to a balcony which overlooked a pool and rolling hills in the distance. Kari could tell that these babies were going to be spoil beyond belief.
“What is the budget,” Kari asked turning around looking at the love-birds holding hands.
“1 million dollars,” Austin said without batting an eye.
“No,” Farrah said shaking her head. She looked at her husband like he bumped his head. “That’s too much money,”
“We will spare no expense,” Austin said
“Errr….kids are expensive even though we can afford them I like to be sensible.” Farrah said and turn her attention to Kari.
“$250,000” Austin smiled looking at Farrah sheepishly. “We’re getting a nursery in Dallas, too”
“You do know if we was the average Joe we would be doing some Do-It-Yourself moments,” Farrah said kissing his cheek.
“Yep,” he said.
“We want to incorporate this beautiful, tranquil and cozy environment for the babies.” Farrah said as she walked around the room. “But we want to celebrate the twins as separate entities.”
 “I have a few ideas in my head,” Kari said as she looked around the room. “I can have a few sketches around the end of the week.”
“There is one more thing…we’re hoping that you can work with Hank Jackson, my husband cousin who is a skilled carpenter.” Farrah said hesitantly.
“You want custom made items?” Kari asked.
“My wife want you to design the items such as the cribs, small table and chair set.” Austin said as he inspected the room.
“How do you know that Mr. Jackson will be able to deliver?” Kari asked.  She didn’t need some wanna-be ‘Bob the Builder,’ to give her name a bad rap when he couldn’t deliver, Kari couldn’t care less if this Hank dude was Austin’s cousin.
“Let me show you some of his amazing work,” Farrah said as she walked out the room.
Kari followed the couple to a bedroom down the hallway. When the door open she stepped into a room that furniture was made of reclaimed wood from the bedroom set to the dresser. “He did a magnificent job.”
“Does this answer your question?” Austin smiled
“Yes it did,” she admitted. “When do I get to me the master builder?”
“I’ll give him a call,” Austin said walking away to leave the two ladies to talk babies and color scheme.
“I don’t want to do the blue for boys,” Farrah said making a face. “I want this room to have southern charm and class, but stay away from blue,”
“Don’t worry I see all cowboys in this room,” Kari laughed and checked her watched. “I have to go, but I’ll be back tomorrow to show you my ideas,”
Stepping outside into the cool airy afternoon sun, it felt like winter was approaching and autumn is fading quickly.  The late night storm last night brought cold weather to Nashville earlier than expected.
“Here comes Hank,” Farrah pointed at a red Ford truck coming down the road.
It can’t be Kari said. This was the same truck she passed on the highway earlier this morning. Kari cringed when she thought about how she gave him the ‘finger’. The pickup came to a stop next to Kari’s car.
“Hank,” Farrah said excitedly as she walked over to the truck.
Two words came to Kari’s mind when she saw the man name Hank Jackson step out the truck. Sexy Lumberjack. He was tall and muscular with brown shaggy hair and a beard to match. His body was ripped and muscular. Kari eyes raked all over Hank’s body, damn he could be a model for a milk campaign with his tight black t-shirt and blue jeans.
“Kari?” Farrah said with a surprise look on her face.
“I’m sorry,” Kari blushed. She was too busy checking out Hank that she wasn’t even paying attention to Farrah.
“This is Hank Jackson,” Farrah said and turn her attention to Hank. “This is Kari Hayes the decorator I told you about,”
“How can I forget,” Hank said grimly.
Gosh, Kari thought he didn’t want to work with her any more than she wanted to work with him. “It’s nice to see you,” she said shaking his hand and quickly pulling it away from him.
“Well Kari I have to get back to preparing a menu, but Hank will fill you on the wood he will use for the baby furniture.” Farrah said. She gave Kari a quick hugged before walking into the house.
“So you’re the Jeff Gordon this morning with the wicked road rage,” Hank glared at her.
“Well if you wasn’t driving slowly like a turtle, I wouldn't had passed you this morning,” Kari said and made a beeline to her car.
Hank laughed and shook his head. “Speed kills,” he said looking at her sternly.
Kari scoffed and rolled her eyes at him. “So does wearing tight jeans,” she said backing out the driveway and sped down the gravel road. Looking back into the rear-view mirror at the man who rubbed her the wrong. It wasn't too late to quit the McBride Project.

Comments

  1. Hi when will International lover part 2 and part 2 of southern hearts , Bitter Hearts coming out on barnes and noble please email me at marlanmceachin46@yahoo.com. My name is Marlan McEachin because i have a nook color

    Thank you
    Marlan McEachin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

International Lovers (Saudi Arabian Night Series)

Back From Hiatus